Saturday, March 04, 2006

Bachelors or Masters in Parenting???

A good friend of mine pointed out just the other day that noone has ever gone to school to be a parent. You get pregnant and 9 short months later, you're a mom or a dad. No other career field is like this. Engineers, doctors, accountants, teachers ... even professions like hairdressers and bus drivers. No wonder the learning curve of parenting is so high! It's not just a hill to climb, but a 14er!
I find this to be more and more true as my kids get older and I'm faced with a whole new set of issues I have to deal with and discipline, if you will. I make so many mistakes. I pour myself into books - trying to learn from others who have gone before me. And even 2 weeks ago, Steve and I went to a parenting conference. Afterall, there is nothing new under the sun. Why shouldn't I learn from those who have gone before me. More than likely, they have made the same mistakes that I will. I just wish I had gone to school first and maybe even earned my PhD in Parenting!
Parenting is truly an act of worship unto God, as I am refined in my character through my mistakes. I long to be more and more like Him as I seek to love my children and raise them the best I know how.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, I must say it feels good to be quoted! I really like your writing style and seeing your thoughts laid out in front of me gives me a new appreciation of what you have to offer as a friend and fellow Mom. Thank you for the willingness to be vulnerable and to share what is on your heart and mind.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home