Friday, March 10, 2006

God in Search of Man

I picked up a new book - God in Search of Man, a Philosophy of Judiasm by Abraham J. Heschel. Rob Bell, the author of Velvet Elvis (awesome, if you haven't read it!), has a favorite book list. So, I've been attempting to read some of the books on his list. This is the latest one I picked up at the library - but I've only just started it.

His opening paragraph was powerful, so I thought I'd just share that here with you.

"When faith is completey replaced by creed, worship by discipline, love by habit; when the crisis of today is ignored because of the splendor of the past; when faith becomes an heirloom rather than a living fountain; when religion speaks only in the name of authority rather than with the voice of compassion - its message becomes meaningless."

Need I say more?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That'll give me something to chew on. Thanks for sharing. Velvet Elvis looks good too, I'll have to get that one.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooohhh, that sounds so good. I need to add those to my "to read" list!

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing so those of us who can't quite get to it right now can enjoy!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Lisa Stucky said...

Did I say that I was only 5 pages into his book?! =) Off to bed to do some reading!

9:14 PM  
Blogger jody said...

I was just going to ask how the rest of the book was? Loved the beginning!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Lisa Stucky said...

Well, I have now read the first chapter (all of 20 pages) but have been truly challenged in my thinking of "religion" as he coins it. Will keep you posted! =)

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home