Friday, April 28, 2006

Writing Just To Hear Myself Talk

There are days I write, hoping someone will respond with a comment to my thoughts. Other days I write just to get my thoughts down on "paper". Sometimes I'm disappointed when no one makes a comment ... as it leaves me wondering what people might be thinking about me. Sometimes I write just to hear myself talk and it's better when no one makes a comment.

I know I'm not the only one who sometimes wonders what others think about us. John Piper says it well in his book, Life as a Vapor. "Life is too short to spend time and energy worrying about what others think of us. Or should we care about what others think precisely b/c that really matters in this short life? Should we be radically free from what others think, so we don't fall into the indictment of being a "second-hander" or "man-pleaser," a slave to expediency? Or should we keep an eye out for what others think of what we do, so that we don't fall into the indictment of being boorish and insensitive and offensive? The answer is not simple. some biblical texts seem to say it matters what others think. Others seem to say it doesn't ...
... But we ought not to care much what others think of us for our own sake. Our concern is ultimately for Christ's reputation, not ours."

So, whether I write something profound and meaningful or downright silly and absurd ... whether I make mistakes or live above reproach - it shouldn't concern me what others think. I need be more concerned with what God thinks - and focus on Christ's reputation and how my life is building it up or tearing it down.

6 Comments:

Blogger jody said...

thats a good thought, Lisa. I've been thinking about that a lot today...caring not for our own sake but for Christ's reputation only. Thanks for taking the time to share.

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a confession to make. Sometimes when I read your blog, your thoughts are so deep and my mind is so not that I have nothing I can add to your sage words. I may sound a little cheesy there, but it is the honest truth. I often wonder what others think when they read my blog too. I realized the other day it's a little like another newsletter where "they" know how I am and I am left in the dark. Oh well. It's a good thing I enjoy writing but I do wonder sometimes.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Lisa Stucky said...

Oh girl, I don't know how to respond to that one. I don't think my thoughts are all that deep. I like the way you think. And I have enjoyed doing the Beth Moore study with you, as you draw things out that I do not see. We may see things differently and think differently, but I so love our friendship. I thank God for you!

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't read too much into it either. We do think differently and I'm so grateful that we see things from different sides of the coin sometimes and others we just manage to put into words what we both see. You are a gift and I do look forward to catching up on Tuesday. Turns out Scott head to MN for his grandma's funeral on Tues. AM so it will be good to chat that afternoon.

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not trying to beat a dead horse here but I don't want you to own my own insecurities. I am just processing "out loud" an maybe this is not the best place to do that where everyone else can "hear". Love you, my friend. Hope your Sunday is restful.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Lisa Stucky said...

Not to worry, I probably haven't read into it as much as you might think I have. insecurities run in all of us ... as do strengths! =) Talk to you on Tues!

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home