Monday, April 10, 2006

The seventh day

"The seventh day is the exodus from tension, the liberation of man from his own muddiness, the installation of man as a sovereign in the world of time. In the tempestuous ocean of time and toil there are islands of stillness where man may enter a harbor and reclaim his dignity. The island is the seventh day, the Sabbath, a day of detachment from things, instruments and practical affairs as well as of attachment to the Spirit... All week we may ponder and worry whether we are rich or poor, whether we succeed or fail in our occupations; whether we accomplish or fall short of reaching our goals ... The Sabbath is no time for personal anxiety or care, for any activity that might dampen the spirit of joy. The Sabbath is no time to remember sins, to confess, to repent or even to pray for relief or anything we might need. It is a day for praise, not a day for petitions... One must abstain from toil and strain on the seventh day, even from strain in the service of God." Abraham Heschel, The Sabbath

What if our Sabbath rest was more frequent than every seventh day. Say - every seventh hour? Or every seventh minute? For some of us, it's hard to find that ONE day a week that we can take "off" and have a Sabbath rest. But it might be easier to take time out of each day. It's easy to get caught up in the service of God, be it our kids, our spouses, our friends, our extended family, or the people we are ministering to in our ministry positions. There is always someone, somewhere at any time of day who needs us. Which is why this principle of the Sabbath rest is so crucial in our lives.

I often have to force myself to step away and take a big, deep breath and let the Spirit flow through me. Early in the morning, during nap time and after I put the kids to bed are my times of rest, my times to connect with the Spirit. It's those moments that keep me going ... keep me fresh and alive.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the thoughts on this. I really do need to get this book but until then I appreciate the clif notes. I need to be ever mindful of making this happen in my life as it does not happen without effort, sometimes much effort.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home