Friday, March 17, 2006

Lesson learned at Starbucks ???

Sitting at Starbucks a few days ago – I overheard a conversation the worker-bees were having. One of the girls was newly married, within the last year. Her co-worker asked her how she knew that she wanted to marry her husband. Her explanation has stuck with me this week. She explained…

She had lived with other guys in the past, all of whom drove her crazy for various reasons. Be it the way they cleaned or didn’t clean, made the bed, squeezed the toothpaste tube … something got on her nerves. While living with her husband before they married, she realized that he was the first guy who didn’t drive her crazy. He didn’t have any “quirks” that got under her skin. So, she decided she could indeed marry him and continue living with him.

Sad… sad … sad… but isn’t this a common criteria for so many people out there?

Had I based my marriage partner choice on whether or not his “quirks” bothered me … I don’t know that Steve and I would have married. =) And yet, he is - by far - unquestionably perfect for me!

I’m just glad we, as Christ followers, have a better filter through which to make such a major decision… and so many other decisions. If I allowed “quirks” to be the criteria by which I should do or not do something, I just might become a hermit, curl up under my sheets and stay there forever and always! Amen!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No kidding. And what happens then if they, heaven forbid, develop some habit that bugs you. Or your hormones go crazy and EVERYTHING bugs you. Yikes! Not much to base a commitment on that's for sure.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep thinking that I'm glad David didn't use that criteria when he decided to marry me!!

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home