Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Search your heart

This quote is enough to make me get down on my knees and truly search my heart! Sometimes, I just "go through the motions" with God. Sometimes I miss connecting with him - and experience dry and desert-like times. Truly pressing in to Him and catching a glimpse of who He - a brief moment to hear His heartbeat ... it's that for which I long.

"Religious thinking, believing, feeling are among the most deceptive activities of the human spirit. We often assume it is God we believe in, but in reality it may be a symbol of personal interests that we dwell upon. We may assume that we feel drawn to God, but in reality it may be a power within the world that is the object of our adoration. We may assume it is God we care for, but it may be our own ego we are concerned with. To examine our religious existence is, therefore, a task to be performed constantly." Abraham Heschel - God in Search of Man

3 Comments:

Blogger jody said...

Alright, sounds like that book keeps getting better. You've convinced me--I'm ordering it.
Thanks for sharing.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Lisa Stucky said...

I just ordered 2 more books by him from the library.

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for continuing to share the depth of this book! I need to get on it. I'm not sure I can wrap my brain around it but that's the point. God is bigger than I am or my thoughts of Him can ever be. I'm so glad. I need a God who is that big. I'm glad He's slow to anger and quick to extend mercy as I repeatedly make Him much too small and trivial.

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home