Friday, May 05, 2006

A life of prayer

I was reading Celebration of Discipline yesterday, his chapter on prayer, which was timely considering it was the national day of prayer. I like to pray, especially with my kids. =) But I wouldn't call myself an "intercessor". Or even disciplined in the practice.

I like what Foster has to say on the topic, "prayer catapults us onto the frontier of the spiritual life. Of all the Spiritual Disciplines prayer is the most central b/c it ushers us into perpetual communion with the Father. ... Real prayer is life creating and life changing. 'Prayer - secret, fervent, believing prayer - lies at the root of all personal godliness,' writes William Carey.

To pray is to change. Prayer is the central avenue God uses to transform us. If we are unwilling to change, we will abandon prayer as a noticeable characteristic of our lives. The closer we come to the heartbeat of God the more we see our need and the more we desire to be conformed to Christ."

Ah, to have a more disciplined life of prayer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home