Saturday, May 20, 2006

This body of death - Carry it well and carry it all the time

Andree Seu a senior writer for World Magazine writes in her May 6, 2006 column:

Paul wrote of being afflicted, crushed, perplexed, struck down and "always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies" (2 Corinthians 4:10). I want, with Paul, the moment-by-moment death working in me that allows Jesus' moment-by-moment life to shine. ... Carrying around death includes resisting the urge to talk too much. Beware of trying to get from people what you can only get from God. Your momentary indulgence will leave you feeling sullied, with your pain unabated. Keep grief clean. Remember too, even the friends who like you best spend no more than five minutes a day thinking of you. God thinks of you all the time; talk to Him.

"Beware of trying to get from people what you can only get from God." This includes my husband, kids, extended family ... far too often, I look to them to meet my needs and am only frustrated when they don't do just that! God's the only one responsible to meet my needs. May the One who endured death for the sake of relationship with me be the only One I look to, the only One for whom I'll carry death.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So right along the lines of what we have been studying. Such a hard thing to do and so much truth.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Joan V said...

Thanks for the reminder! It's one I need often.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home