Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The ugly "S" word

Submission is something I struggle with on a daily basis... submission to God and submission to Steve. Right now, Steve and I are in the midst of making some major decisions. I want to trust God and Steve, but I struggle to do so. I want to remain in control and have everything work out just the way I think is best. I know in my heart this isn’t right, but I just can’t seem to let go of the desire to be in control.

So, I’ve been reading Richard Foster’s Celebration of Discipline and this morning, I decided to jump ahead to the chapter on submission. Foster said a few things that really hit home for me. He says, “The obsession to demand that things go the way we want to go is one of the greatest bondages in human society today.” Ouch! How painfully right he is. I find myself in bondage far too often b/c I demand that things go my way. This is true with my kids and with Steve. I want my life to be just right – ordered the way I think it should be (that’s the 1st born perfectionist in me).

Later on he says, “The real issue is the spirit of consideration and respect we have for each other. In submission we are at last free to value other people. Their dreams and plans become important to us. We have entered into a new, wonderful, glorious freedom – the freedom to give up our own rights for the good of others. For the first time we can love people unconditionally. We have given up the right to demand that they return our love. No longer do we feel that we have to be treated in a certain way. We rejoice in their successes. We feel genuine sorrow in their failures. It is of little consequence that our plans are frustrated if their plans succeed.”

Now, my childhood experience was filled with some really horrible things that have made it difficult for me to trust. Difficult to trust God – that He really does have my best interest in mind – also difficult to trust Steve. But it’s no excuse for the fact that I really suck at loving people unconditionally and I suck even more at giving up my rights. Nothing short of an act of the Holy Spirit working in my life will transform me in this area. And so I pray – and ask the Holy Spirit to have His way, regardless of how painful or difficult the journey.

Submission is something that Jesus did every day on this earth and continues to do all the time – submitting Himself to the will of His Father. If I want to be more like Jesus, than submission needs to be a part of my character. So I continue to work on being submissive…

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thoughts my friend. Hard actions. I know that God is doing great things in your heart, as hard as it is to work them out in real life. I'll keep praying for you. (ok, I've been living in Texas long enough that that last sentence actually ran through my head as prayin' for ya.- sigh)

9:54 PM  
Blogger Lisa Stucky said...

Sorry I missed you yesterday. We were at my mom's house in the afternoon and had a cadet here last night. Maybe we can chat tomorrow??? (Thurs)

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home