Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Fun ... Sun ... and Baseball!

Steve and I are getting away for a few days! This is the first time we will both be going out of state without our kiddos. Steve has often dreamed of going to Arizona in March to watch spring training baseball. So, we're going tomorrow ... to consume many hours of watching baseball, while basking in the hot Arizona sun! 4 1/2 days away from the kids ... just me and my sweetie. Don't think I'll quite know what to do with myself... no I think I will! =)

Meanwhile, I'm frantic to get packed and ready to take the kids to Steve's brother's house. But of course, I have to leave you with a quote. I'm thoroughly enjoying Heschel's book... just about 1/2 way through now. He really has caused me to reflect on my relationship with God and my faith in Him. That's why I've enjoyed it so much. I don't often think about how I relate to God, but I have been challenged to do so through this book. So I quote,

"God is of no importance unless He is of supreme importance. We cannot leave it uncertain whether or not there is a living God who is concerned with the integrity of man. We cannot leave it uncertain whether or not we know what He requires of us. The answer to these questions cannot be found off-hand. According to Maimonides (?), "It is well known and quite evident that the love of God cannot strike deep root in the heart of man unless it occupies his mind constantly so that nothing in the world matters to him but this love of God." What applies to the love of God applies to some degree to faith in God.

Faith is not the same as belief, not the same as the attitude of regarding something as true. When the people of Israel worshiped golden calf, forty days after Sinai, their belief in the event was surely present. Faith is an act of the whole person, of mind, will and heart. Faith is sensitivity, understanding, engagement, and attachment; not something achieved once and for all, but an attitude one may gain and lose."

3 Comments:

Blogger jody said...

good for you. Have a great trip!

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed you before you left but I look forward to catching up when you're home.

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep checking in. I'd love to hear how things went for you and for the kiddos. Can we talk Tues?

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home